This Week's Theme:


This Week's Theme: Holidays!

Armagetto Fabulous on Tumblr!

Monday, October 24, 2011

WWII: Hitler's Head Explodes by Justin Zyduck


This is not actually a reference to Inglorious Basterds, but rather one of my all-time favorite video games: the NES classic Bionic Commando. If you are unfamiliar with that game, and specifically its ending, let me drop a little education on you.

The game, as originally released in Japan, dealt with a neo-Nazi group seeking to bring Hitler back from the dead to complete a doomsday weapon. During the English translation process, Nintendo of America--somewhat notorious for censoring anything that might be considered offensive for the U.S. market--removed all explicit references to Nazism, calling the enemies "Badds" and replacing swastikas with a falcon-like emblem.

NOA, however, apparently did not vet the game's ending, or else they'd surely have made alterations to the following game elements:
I must admit: I had fun on this one.

(If you're interested, see the 20th century's most hated man explode in black and white.)

6 comments:

  1. That's bloody fantastic...and I'm glad ya had fun with it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding! And completely enjoyed getting educated on that, Thank You :) ! Luv it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has a bit of a Matt groening feel to it. Love it.

    Side note: do you remember the end of wolfenstein?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, awesome choice.

    You just don’t forget shit like this. My 12 year old mind was literally blown –not unlike this- when I was treated to this sight after beating the game. One of the best endings for the NES, hands down, and definitely the gnarliest.

    PS: Capcom fucking ruled the NES, my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We should do a video game theme some week...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Josh: I never beat Wolfenstein. But isn't the ending, like, you fight Hitler in a mech suit or something?

    Rich: YOU ARE CORRECT about Capcom. DuckTales, man...first game I ever beat, and not having played it in maybe eight to ten years, I could probably still speed-run it through muscle memory alone. What really stands out about Capcom games for me, though, is the music. The DuckTales moon theme, the opening to Bionic Commando. I feel a little sorry for their music staff, actually; if the composer of Mega Man 2 had decided to ditch the whole game-music thing and turn those songs into a commercial pop album? IT WOULD HAVE SOLD MORE THAN THRILLER.

    I would be totally down for video game week, but I won't be the one to suggest it, at least this go round. I have a BRILLIANT THEME to unleash on you in a couple weeks time. (Yes, I will toot my own horn.)

    ReplyDelete